Protected by Copyscape Plagiarism Checker

Thursday, April 12, 2012

My-Take/Recipe: Mama Aida's Sipo Egg

Eggs are one of our VIP (very-important-pantry) must-haves . We just cannot afford to go out of stock because this is the only food that Maia never says no to. When everything fails, to the eggs we go.

Aside from the common chicken eggs, Quail eggs have also become a recent favorite of our little growing kid. She discovered how delish that teeny tiny egg was when she first tasted her Lola Aida's (my mother in law) Sipo Egg dish. My mother in law is Kapampangan so yes, her cooking skills are just way, way beyond my reach. But once in a while, I try my best to replicate her cooking to appease (mostly Tibs) our household's longing for her dishes.

I've long wanted to share the recipe for this dish but I just couldn't figure out how SIPO is spelled. Thanks to Google and for this recipe's popularity in Kapampangan feasts, I got several hits and found several other variations to this recipe that I do plan to try in the future (well, mainly because they had more veggies in them so I wanted to try and introduce that to Maia as well).


For this particular recipe, you will need:

1 pack (about 250g) of mixed frozen peas and carrots (yes fresh is even better)
about 100g of chicken gizzard, cleaned and cut into small, bite size pieces
1 piece of med sized onion, chopped
1 clove of garlic, minced
1 pack or can of cream of mushroom soup
about 2-3 tsps of butter (no need to melt)
about 2 tsps of olive oil (mixed to a tsp of butter)
24 pcs of boiled quail eggs, peeled

How I did it:

1. Saute onion and garlic in butter+oil mixture.
2. Add the chicken gizzard and over low fire cook till done (I like to cook ours really well and by well, I mean browned)
3. Add in the frozen veggies (make sure they're already thawed).
4. Pour in the mushroom soup. (Dilute the cream of mushroom soup in about 4 cups of water if you're using the powdered kind but when you have the canned (condensed) version, just pour directly.)
5. Simmer for 10-15 minutes.
6. Add in the peeled quail eggs and serve hot.

This can feed about 4-6 hungry stomachs. Enjoy!

I added in some broccoli stems here since I had some left from the day before. The eggs were peeled by the little girl and she happily devoured the vegetables and eggs right after I served it.
I couldn't be any happier.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...