Protected by Copyscape Plagiarism Checker

Sunday, February 5, 2012

Half-Marathons Are Hard Work

Yes, they are not conquered easily. But it can be done.

Despite (really dreadful for me) a big threat of a DNF looming over my head, I made a slow pagong move towards the finish line to earn this medal of victory.


I started seriously training for this race just last December and despite the confidence that I had of the training that I did, my fear of a cramp attack was realized. The biggest lesson that I learned here is PREPARATION is KEY. Had I seriously started my training when I decided to go for it last September, it would probably had been an injury-free race for me. But then again, I'm glad I was able to maintain my pace till the 18km mark. I was wondering though, had I not stopped to stretch for a bit would the cramp still have happened? Ahhhh the what-ifs. 


A few weeks before this race, I had been half-scared. I didn't let it get me down though and I fought to keep a positive outlook. That sort of kept me going despite having been told by medics to rest it out and declare victory on the 18k mark. I just asked if walking is still possible and trudged on when I was given the go signal. I was washed over by fear at first, having cried for help (yes with those puss-in-boots-eyes) but ignored by everyone who went passed me. I called (literally dialed) for help but eventually realized Tibs was way ahead there wasn't anything he can do anyways. So I was left to figure out what's the best thing to do and I still decided to go for it. I'm glad I did. 

I reached the finish line with a throbbing calf but no more cramp attack. I felt frustrated because I knew I could do better (I was really pumped up on that last 4 kilometers, I felt I could go at 5.30/km per minute). I should have researched more on handling cramps because that was also my problem when I did my 16k race last year but totally overlooked that part. Oh well, I learned a lot of good lessons here and I'm ready to move on.

Half-marathons are hard work but after experiencing it first-hand...I can now say that marathons are close to an impossible feat! Hahaha. But I'm not giving up on it. I dreamed of finishing a marathon before I reach 35. Is that still possible? Yes I think it is. I have 2 more years to SERIOUSLY prepare for it and that's A LOT of training time already. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...